Have you ever thought of parenthood? Of the role of parent? Of how we as a parent, have the responsibility to teach our children and enable them to become independent adults? Individuals who are capable of learning from our experiences and making decisions? Choice and accountability is very key in this life.
Something that was recently brought to my attention, that I have never thought about before (in this way) is that Heavenly Father is just that and doing just that. He is our Father and parent. He is teaching us, His children, to become independent beings who are capable of learning and making decisions. He is teaching us so that we can 'grow up' and 'leave the house' so to speak. So that when we become parents, we will have been prepared with the correct tools to be parents ourselves one day. He is teaching us to be knowledgeable and self sufficient. The thing is, when we talk with our Father and ask Him questions, doesn't it make sense that He is going to push us? Help us so the lesson is learned and learned well? He wants us to succeed. Sometimes, when we are not getting answers to our prayers so quickly, perhaps it is because we already know the answer and perhaps Heavenly Father is testing us to see if we remember the answer, can find the answer, or some variation of the above. There is always a lesson to be learned. Or perhaps when we keep asking the same question, we are not asking the correct question. Perhaps there is a better question to be asked.
Here's the thing. We sometimes act like Heavenly Father is going to stop writing our story in the middle of our book. That's not how it works. So we need to quit acting like we are going to stop reading our own book before it ends! It's a suspenseful one, a dramatic one, a sad one, a happy one and a story worth seeing through to the end. For goodness sake, we have the lead role after all. My point? Heavenly Father loves us. Yes, some of our stories might be rocky at times. So? That does not mean the story ends. Yes, some of us have made decisions that have taken us on paths that are a bit of a longer hike than necessary (compared to others). But that doesn't mean your story ends. Nor does it mean you chose wrong. It means you chose a path, you learned from it (hopefully), and you are ultimately stronger for it. Same goes for people who chose a shorter path. Hopefully we are all learning from our journey. And enjoying our Story as it plays out.
I was once asked what my biggest regret was. And I could honestly say at the time that I had no regrets! This is not to say that I have had no trials, embarrassing moments, or things that I blushed over. Because I do and I did! But what I meant was that if I didn't experience all of the hard things, the life molding/defining things.. I wouldn't be the person I am today. And I like who I am. Having said that, within the last year I experienced something that has had me wondering about my feelings on 'regret'. Which has made this topic of 'my story' perfect to reflect on. I can now say that I have been faced with an experience that I believe will cause me regret for the rest of my life. And yet as I reflect, I would never change it. Someone who I believe I will always care for, helped me realize that a past boyfriend of mine had stripped me of my self worth for a time. This man does not know he did this for me. Helped me. I was broken at the time. But as he entered into my life, I quickly saw what needed to be done. I healed. I felt. I even got tongue tied around him (eek)! Maybe too late for him (I hope not). Regret? For him, yes I have regret. Timing is an interesting thing. But if I were to have changed this experience so that I didn't regret the outcome with this man, Would I have found my self worth again? I honestly don't know. Timing. I have learned so much in the last year. I am so grateful. Regret? Yes, but so much gratitude as well. I KNOW Heavenly Father loves me. Heavenly Father is not done with my story. My story doesn't end here.
1 month ago

No comments:
Post a Comment