It's always so interesting to me that it takes incidents in our lives to put life into perspective.
Friday night a friend and I put together a group to go sledding. It was a good sized group and things were going well. It seemed as though everyone was having an enjoyable time. We had a few bumps and bruises but nothing too crazy. Just your normal sledding wounds. As time was going on, my friend David was showing signs of boredom with the hill we were playing on. We talked about it and I was telling him about the other side of the hill and how there's a bigger drop off but that people get hurt on it. This seemed to entice him more and he decided that he at least wanted to try it. Ugh! Our group stayed on the west hill but David went on the other side. Knowing that he was going over there, I made sure to watch him to make sure he was alright. He went down and took some serious air off that drop. He got up and looked like he enjoyed it. I was just glad he looked unscathed. There was some commotion on our hill so I turned my head and got involved with that and forgot about David. The next thing I know is that several minutes later a few of our friends were screaming to call 911. There was something laying in the snow over on the other side of the hill. My thought was it was David, he must have gone down again without my knowing! We all went running. I got there pretty quickly. I was kneeling at his face. His body was still on his sled, his face was in the snow, body laying there looking broken. I yelled out not to move him. I then proceeded to try to call out to him to see if he could here me. There was a bit of blood in the snow and on his face. We didn't move him because thankfully he WAS breathing! You cannot imagine my relief at that! When the ambulance finally got there he started to rouse a little bit but he was so out of it we had to prevent him from trying to move. I was mostly worried about broken bones, internal bleeding, etc. They took him to the trauma unit but he was released late that night. He's 'ok' but still seeing double and fighting dizziness. I'm so grateful it wasn't worse! He is so lucky!
Some things I learned... That even though I previously doubted that I could handle a seriously scary situation where someones life could be in jeopardy, I did! I know that sounds strange but I'm really proud of myself. That was a really scary situation and it involved someone I know and care about. I never thought I'd be able to be calm and collected, but I was and I was thinking clearly. It wasn't until I wasn't in the throws of it all that I had my moment of sickness and nerves. None of us panicked and I'm so glad. I learned, once again, just how powerful the Priesthood is. I learned that no matter what, go in PAIRS!
5 days ago

2 comments:
You did handle that rather well, Tandy! I think I would have freaked out.
I have to tell you what happened this week with my niece. She is 3 and they were sledding at the school on the hill in the back and she hit a bump in the ice and hit her head. She has a huge scratch and a goose egg. She looks so sad. Sledding is more dangerous then I can remember.
Post a Comment