Monday, December 29, 2008

Thank U for Helping me Attain my Goal of 100 Firsts

I did it!!! :) Most of you are well aware that my goal for this year has been to make this year a year of firsts. My goal was to reach 100. I am overjoyed to report that I have succeeded. :) Truth be told, I have exceeded my goal but that really isn't the point. My journey is the real reason for the 100. Here are a few things that I have learned in the past year...

I have learned that no matter what, I am the one who decides whether I can or I can't. Which is very empowering. In realizing this, I have tried to make a more conscious effort in deciding what I really want. Rather then an automatic response, I try to really ask myself do I or don't I really want to do or try this? I try to make this my first question rather then allow my thoughts to go immediately to "I don't think I can or I don't think I'd be any good at it or I don't know if I'll like it". I'm not going to lie, sometimes I find myself still defaulting to my old ways, but for the most part, I really DO what I want when it comes to trying new things now. That also doesn't go to say that sometimes I have to give myself a little pep talk in order to find the courage to do what I really want to do, but I end up doing it. It has been a very fun, insightful journey the last year.

I have also learned a lot about myself. Believe me, there are several things on my list that are harmless and were not very hard for me to try in comparison. But there were also some things that really pushed my fears to the limits. Although at times VERY embarrassing to me to allow others to see, I REALLY wanted to push my fears and push them I did. Though I know my friends would never judge me for my fears, I just hate that they are not logical. The fears I mean. And when horrible fears are not logical, and you realize this, it just makes you feel all that more silly to have them exposed (repeatedly in my case) haha. Regardless, I am grateful to have had the experiences to push myself in these ways. For example, I would never have realized just how much fun rock climbing (still working on it), Sliding down Timp Glacier, White water rafting, etc would be. I don't think I would have ever tried any of these because I would have let my fears get in the way.

I have also learned that more often than not, I ENJOY trying new things. This was a huge surprise to me. I jokingly say that I must have lived in a bubble the last.. well the last x amount of years. :) Growing up, we did not have a lot of money, we couldn't afford to travel or vacation places and as I became an adult, I guess I just stuck to the same mentality. Ironically, I'm the one in my family who has really been able to visit places and have fun in that regard. Kind of sad when I look around and see just how much is new to me still. I will not stop my year of firsts. I will continue to seek out fun firsts to try and hopefully get better at some of the things I've learned that I like to do. We will see. :)

I didn't mean for this post to be lengthy since I just barely posted, but I wanted to update on my year of firsts. I am grateful for friends who have helped me attain my goal by taking me to new adventures, participating with me, and supporting me in this silly little goal of mine. :)

Happy New Years Friends and Family!!!

3 comments:

Tabitha and Clay Shurtleff said...

Did you keep a journal of your firsts. I would love for you to post your firsts. I think it would be awesome to see alllll the things you did this year.

Tandy said...

They are listed on here in my first entries. I just kept it updated...

Robyn said...

That's an awesome idea! I should make a list too, but I'm afraid everything I really want to do will cost major $$$!! Maybe I'll have to do a budget list and a list for when we make it big time!