Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mediocre or Great?

As I was sitting in the hospital room last night, I got to thinking of many things. Of how this scene was all too familiar. Of how 'plans' don't always go the way we envision them to. Of how if we dwell too much on these types of things, how easily sadness creeps in. So I say to you... 'Plans Shmans'!!! Oh sure, make plans, but be flexible in knowing that life happens in unpredictable ways. Don't allow THAT to rattle your cage so much that you cannot re-cooperate and instead you wallow in the drama that is your life. Because believe it or not, we all could do that. Instead, roll with it. Be happy! It's a choice. Sometimes that choice feels like a wrestling match, but it IS a choice.

Last night, as I sat in the hospital chair across from my older sister as she lay in bed hooked up to IV's and tubes aplenty, I reflected on all that she has been through. Is she perfect? Um, that would be a NO! Who is? Does any person deserve to go through such horrible hardships and health problems? I personally don't think so. However, it's made her who she is. We talked of many things. I let her talk about whatever she needed to talk about. Though an exhausting night, it is times like these when I know my sister best. We can lay aside all the junk and she is the little girl I grew up with. She is ... my sister.

It's so interesting at how it's times when we have these mandatory 'time outs' that we often times reflect on what is, what could be, and what should be. I am NOT a perfect person. I will never be perfect in this life. That doesn't go to say, I will never stop trying. It was interesting. The other day I was playing a game (yes you read that correctly and no, do not invite me to game night tomorrow cause it's not gonna happen *smiles*)..anyway, I was playing a game where we were given 2 options and you choose which option you'd rather do. Let's face it, most times both options stunk, but it usually made for funny conversation starters. One of them was.."Would you rather be mediocre (average) for all of your life OR know you are meant to do something great your whole life but never being able to attain that greatness." I couldn't swallow it. Because the first option is basically saying you are ok with just getting by with the bare minimum. The second option is saying that you would be ok with constantly feeling like a failure. I honestly couldn't make a choice knowing the outcome of both. Because here's the thing, we come here...to the earth, KNOWING we are meant to do something great our whole life. We are meant to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are meant to be examples to our fellow man. We are meant to be good people and to help one another however we can. We are MEANT to do great things!!! And I HAVE to believe I'm succeeding in those things. Whether it be in some small way or a big way, it doesn't matter because it means success and that is fine by me. So I choose option 'C'. I choose to KNOW I am meant for greatness and KNOWING that I will eventually attain it. Hopefully repeatedly. :)

Moral of the story? Do we still plan? Heck yeah we plan! But the point is, life is not on a train track. We are not bolted down to something and that is just how things are gonna pan out. We can get off course a little bit because of things thrown our way. We MUST be flexible so we can learn from these experiences. That's how we grow. Don't let it make you mediocre or stop you in your tracks. Let it help make you a better person by learning and growing and being happy with where you are at, right now! :)

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love reading your blogs and getting to know you better since we've only met a handful of times. Will you be at the family reunions this summer? We will!

Robyn said...

Thanks for getting me reflecting on some things! I hope your sister is ok. Poor thing has been through the ringer several times!

Cambu said...

How did I not know this post was here until just now? I am so far behind... But thanks for the many points to ponder! You teach me something every day... ;) I was there for this game playing/conversation about and I completely concur with you.