Thursday, May 16, 2013

If We Don't Teach Our Children...

I came across a quote that I whole heartedly agree with and loved.

"If we don't teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them not to." I'm not sure who to credit for this quote because it didn't say, but whoever you are.. thank you!

If there is an actual human being out there that does not agree with this, then I'd really like to have a discussion with you.

Already, media would have you think that men are clueless and will do whatever their woman wants. That children are spoiled and manipulative and can get whatever they want. That it's ok to shoot people. That's its acceptable to hit and fight people. That being disrespectful is definitely acceptable. That it's fine to have sex with as many people as you want and it's not that big of a deal to do so. That wearing revealing clothing will get you the kind of guys you want. That if there is a God, he isn't very loving to allow horrible things to happen. Honestly, I could go on and on. Please, take a good look over this list. If our world were made up 100% of this list, we'd have a world of seriously unhappy people. Mean people. People who only cared about themselves. That, my friends, is not the purpose of this life. And I truly believe that life is meant to be joyful and a life of good lessons.

I want my children to know that men are smart, so are women. That they will also do special things for their women, but they will do them out of respect and love. Not out of deceit and manipulation. I want my children to know that they will not be spoiled and cannot manipulate a result out of the adults in their lives. That things will be given them out of necessity and/or if there is a means to give. But only as long as they will be safe. I want my children to know that it is not ok to kill, not ok to hurt, or mistreat others. I want them to know that being disrespectful is unacceptable. I want them to understand my views on sex and that it is a sacred act between husband and wife. I want them to know what modesty is. I want them to know all of these things because I taught them, not because I relied on outside sources to do it for me.

I realize that in the grand scheme of things, we are looking at many religions, many beliefs, many life missions. Whatever you want to call it or whatever you specifically believe, there is an inherent tendency to do good, be good. So the question lies, what has happened to our society to go against what is inherently in us? Why do we allow such negative things to help teach and mold our children? We are saddened when horrible things happen in the world (ie Bombings, shootings, lies, cheats, wars, etc), but yet we allow the media to teach our children. Some may say, it's just entertainment. I would like to know when it is 'just' anything?

When someone is exposed to a heated argument for the first time (or fill in the blank), why is it that that person cringes and hides? When someone is exposed to a heated argument for the tenth time, why is it that that person no longer cringes and hides? But rather knows that behavior to be 'normal'. Does it not make sense that that person will then seek out what is 'normal' to them for future?

The sad thing is, whether you as a parent or friend is demonstrating this negative behavior or not, our children are witnessing it every day through media or other children who have been exposed to negative things. Who decides if our children understand what is acceptable or not? If they are exposed to the negative on a daily bases, how can they not be absorbing this information? If we allow the world to dictate Gods presence, then we are sorely mistaken that our children will be educated properly.

Please do not misunderstand me. I know there are good things out there. But to rely on outside sources to teach our children the most important lessons, is simply unwise. So if we do not teach our children about God, Love, Respect, Service, Morality, and all the good things out there, then in a negative world, we are relying on other sources to teach our children these things.

I would hope that if you are parenting children, then you are taking it serious. That you actually parent them and teach them to be successful, happy individuals.

1 comment:

j said...

Hear, hear! I think I would just add that just as the potential for goodness is naturally within each of us, the potential for evil is there as well (the "natural man" if you will). Every person can go one way or the other, and good examples and teaching true principles can help children to see the benefits of choosing to nurture the good within them over the evil.