I definitely believe there is a time and a place for laughter and last Wednesday in the ER was definitely one of those times. I know what you are probably thinking. Honestly, laughter was definitely the way to go. Last Wednesday I was eating dinner and my phone rang. It was my sister. Love my sister but sometimes she's what you would call a 'talker' and I had a meeting for my church calling. I figured I'd let it go to my voice message and I would just call her back. But as soon as I thought that, I had the feeling that I should answer her call. As I answered, I realized immediately that something wasn't right. She was really out of it and wasn't making a whole lot of sense. Finally she told me that she was in the ER and could I come. She had just had a Grand Mal Seizure. As my sister and I spent the next 5 1/2 hours in the ER together, we had a lot of time to talk. What an eye opener. Yes, we took our moment to cry in each others arms. But honestly, we only cried for a few minutes. Rather than have a pity party, my sister almost immediately said "I'm so thankful I wasn't driving!" There ya have it folks. Here my sister is laying in the ER after experiencing this horrible thing, and she expresses gratitude. All I can say is our parents taught us right. Even though we experience things that are terrible, there is always something to be thankful for. I too, am thankful she wasn't driving. I am also thankful that my niece was calm enough to take charge of the situation and have her friend get help while she stayed with my sister.

Well, as you can imagine, 5 1/2 hours in an ER is a very long time to be couped up in a fairly depressing environment while you await the 'bad' or 'really bad' news. I opted to keep our mood light and my sister went along with it. We watched YouTube clips on her iPhone. Let me tell ya, I am also grateful to all of you for forwarding me all those funny youtube clips so that I could pull them up for her. We were laughing so hard that the tears were no longer from sadness or worry. Poor neighbor fella. I'm pretty sure the grouchy fella was not happy about our outbursts of laughter. But I know that it was the laughter that helped us through that long night.
I suppose I can't just end my story here. My sister is home and doing ok. She couldn't move very well for a few days and is walking with a cane again. But we are grateful. So many blessings occurred. Though my sister may use a different analogy or phraseology, it goes back to my favorite quote. "Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." It is better to move our feet and dance, then stand idly by, wishing for a different outcome. It is up to us to make what we will with the storms that come our way. It is up to us to dance when there are storms about.

5 comments:
Thanks for writing such a touching and uplifting blog about what happened. What a rough week for everyone as my 2 year old had his 8th febrile seizure Monday night! I'm so glad you were able to be there with her and help her through it. Thanks! She's lucky to have such a great family.
I hope everything will be ok! I'll bet she was glad to have you there to lighten the mood and keep her mind away from worry.
Tandy, I'm glad to hear your sister is doing better! That is scary! I'm glad you were able to find something to make a bad situation better - when my Grandpa was in a coma in the hospice - we spent most of the time laughing at family movies - it might have seemed strange to be laughing and enjoying something in that situation, but now we have some happy memories of that time.
Tandy, you are such a sweetie! I'm sure your sister was grateful for you, too.
We didn't know you had a blog! I'm excited to keep updated on your life.
Post a Comment