Thursday, November 6, 2008

Love Hate

What can I say about the Winter/Snow season here in Utah? Well, we pretty much have a love hate relationship. I believe it is a mutual feeling, but on that count.. I cannot be certain. We just had our first snowfall yesterday. Word on the street is that it hit my homestead a little harder than most, but again, that was just word on the street. As I was shoveling my driveway (yes, I said shoveling), I came to a few conclusions. I REALLY dislike shoveling snow. Or at least my muscles do. It always makes me feel like I need to call in a professional massage therapist and lets face it, I can't afford that! So as I was contemplating this and growing shorter on time (as I had somewhere to be), I realized that not only is shoveling a back breaker, but it is a major waste of time over a full snowy season. Sigh. I only got half my sidewalks and half my driveway done. Double sigh. My only hope is that the sun will do me the honor and melt away most of what's left. The Sun and I are friends, so I'm counting on the melting. Smiles. Now that I was a complete downer and complainer, I actually do really like many things about this season too. Let's see. Let's do a Love Hate list, shall we?

Photobucket

LOVE hot chocolate and/or hot caramel apple cider. HATE burning my tongue.
LOVE cute scarfs to accessorize the outfit. HATE having to layer 3x's to keep warm.
LOVE going sledding. HATE skidding in the car (my tires are bald, need to fix that!).
LOVE cuddling in front of a fire. HATE the no fire days.
LOVE snow on the trees. HATE snow on my driveway and sidewalks (Darn the shoveling!)
LOVE snowball fights with the kiddies. HATE whitewashing (you meanies).
LOVE snuggling deeper into my covers. HATE jumping out of bed as the cold air hits.
LOVE soup on a cold day. HATE .. nope I just love the soup. :) I make good soup!
LOVE driving/walking around and seeing Christmas lights. HATE traffic to get there.
LOVE the mountains in winter, they are beautiful. HATE driving in the canyons, scary.

Ok, so I know there are so many more things that I love about Winter, but I think this is a good start. I am excited to welcome in this Winter Season. How am I gonna do this? Totally gonna break out my winter wardrobe tonight. Officially saying goodbye to my summer clothing. Sad to say goodbye to the Summer stuff, but it's like I'm getting a whole new wardrobe. What's not exciting about that?

Anyway, on a totally random and different topic, I think I'm gonna try to ski this year. I'm a little freaked out about it. We will have to see if it ends up on my Love or Hate list. I'm just not sure if I can wrap my mind around being excited about having slick pieces of wood strapped to my feet as I'm going down an icy mountain. How is that a good idea? I hear that people really enjoy it. I'm not sure I'm going to be one of those people, but we will see. Yikes. :)

4 comments:

angela & family said...

Not a big fan of skiing....there is no way of slowing down. If you try to sit down, you just sit on your skiis and end up flying down the mountain even faster. So in order to stop you completely have to biff it! But, if you don't mind doing the splits, then it is for you. Good luck ;-)

Robyn said...

So you brought back the horrors of my days in elementary when my mean neighbor would wait outside for me to walk home from school just to whitewash me. As he was pounding my face into the snow he would say, "Your mama's a snowblower"! So mean! Come to find out he was mean because he liked me. WHAT? Boys really are messed up in the head!

Dani said...

I'm with you! I think winter should end the day after Christmas.. That's long enough right?

White's said...

Can I come when you go skiing for the first time. I want to hear that laugh scream thing you do, like when you rode that Spider ride for the first time!! LOL!!