Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Know How I'd Feel If...

Photobucket

While standing in the Sistine Chapel just a few months ago, and watching while multiple people were taking pictures and videoing the art around us even though we were specifically asked not to, I remember thinking, "this is sacred to someone. Sure they want to preserve the art, but it is also sacred. And if they are being so kind to share it with the world, we need to respect their wishes. I know how I'd feel if someone were taking pictures inside MY temple."

Well, I experienced that yesterday. I brought a non member friend to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House last night. It was a wonderful experience overall. To start the silent tour inside the Temple, you are brought into a tent to watch a video. They specifically ask you not to take pictures inside the Temple, however, you may take pictures outside all you want. As we proceeded on the tour of the Temple, I noticed a man several people behind us with his flip phone out, quite obviously taking pictures with it. The first time I noticed it was when we were in a stairwell. I thought, "ok, it was just stairs..maybe that's not a big deal." But the more we went on, the more I was upset at my silence. This was my temple. A sacred place to me. A place that we were yes, sharing with the public, but doing so with the understanding that we hold it very sacred. I began watching the man. We then entered the Sealing room. He whipped out his phone again and started taking pictures. I couldn't believe it. I moved toward him and told him "no pictures, sir". And probably gave him a look that said this is a sacred place and you've been asked not to already. He pretended not to hear me so I repeated myself and then reported him to a stake president who was near. My conscience was feeling much better. I did not just stand by in my Father's Sacred Holy House.

What a difference it makes to Stand up for what we Believe in. Stand up for things we cherish. Stand up even when it's hard.

3 comments:

taraandhowie said...

Good for you!

Robyn said...

Good for you for being brave! I wish more people understood what sacred means!

Cambu said...

Good on ya! I think you definitely did the right thing!