Friday, September 11, 2009

I have Yuckiness

Ok, so I'm not one to go spreading my problems out there...but I'm a little relieved and nervous at the same time. Over the last little bit I've been having some abdominal pain and chest pain. I've worked in the medical field for 6 years, I figured I had a handle on it. No problem. I chalked it up to heartburn. Well, once the antacids stopped working and I started having excruciating pain for hours at a time after I would eat or drink anything, I figured perhaps I had procrastinated something I shouldn't have waited on. Whoops. What can I say? I try not to blow things out of proportion I guess.

Long story short, my doc wanted to narrow down a few options before going straight to scarier things. He believes I have been experiencing a very strong type of heartburn which actually destroys your esophagus. Great! Anyway, so I've been on a very restricted diet to give my esophagus a break and hopefully allow it to heal. Ironically all foods pretty much make me sick so no problem doc. Great weight loss program I guess. Ha. Anyway, even though what he said made sense and I agree with him that I probably am having those problems, I felt strongly (after researching my symptoms) that I had an ulcer as well. I expressed this to him. He told me it is possible and he could check to see if I have the bacteria causing the ulcers. I am truly grateful that my doc listens to me. It might have something to do with the fact that I used to work for him and he knows me well. :)

My results FINALLY came back. Yup. I have the yuckiness in my tum tum. I'm a little nervous. I start the VERY aggressive meds today. My nurse told me that I need to push through even though it's going to make me very sick. Hopefully I will be able to work and keep down the meds. Sigh. My question is, if I'm already having a hard time eating and drinking....how the heck am I going to handle being more sick than I already am? Yikes. Somehow, I will make it through.

Up side, I did learn that although stress does aggravate ulcers, it is not the 'cause' of ulcers. Good to know. Up up side, there is an end in sight for at least some of the pain. Right? :)

3 comments:

Cyndie said...

Good luck with all that. That stinks. I don't get heartburn... unless I'm pregnant and it is just as bad if not worse then morning sickness. Get feeling better!!!!!

Robyn said...

I hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself!

Cambu said...

UGH! Good luck with your meds and feel better soon!! Let me know if you need anything at all!