Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hands carry the Fingerprints that we Leave behind



"I'll just run in quickly to see if they have what I need and slip out just as quickly. I'm late, I'm late." I thought to myself.

As the door opened, to my surprise I was greeted by my mom (the babysitter for the evening) and all the munchkins. It took all of 5 seconds for me to find out that they did not have what I needed. But it took all of 2 seconds for my munchkins to slip their little hands into mine. Pressing ever so slightly, while playing with my fingertips with their other hands. Something completely unconsciously done, but oh so tender and sweet. What a simple act that spoke volumes to me. Unfortunately, in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but think "Dang my plans tonight! I would LOVE to play with my kidlets instead. But my car is running, and I am late." So with lots of loves left, I was on my way.

But here's the clincher. Though it is days later, I still feel their little hands in mine. I still feel their little fingers playing with mine. It is moments like these, that I treasure. And if I treasure these moments, I KNOW my little munchkins do too. I love taking the time and getting to know them, letting them get to know me. Children crave to tell us stories, they crave to express their love to us, they crave to leave their little fingerprints in this world. I just wonder sometimes if we, the adults, ever care to think back on those sweet little fingerprints and how much they really do leave behind such a wonderful imprint in our lives. Scary thing is, it goes both ways. We leave the same prints behind too. Only our little ones are often times much better at taking care to see them and remember them. I hope our fingerprints are ones that leave behind goodness and love. What kind of fingerprints are you leaving behind?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

So beautifully worded!