Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Have You Made A Difference?

Has anyone ever asked you if you feel that you have ever made a difference? This is a topic that is on my mind often. In times of reflection, I often look at where I am at right then. Am I in a place where I am making a difference to those I come in contact with? If my answer is yes, I believe so. Then I am where I want to be. If my answer is no, then I have some work to do. I believe we are all here to make a difference in each others lives. Whether our part is big or small, we can make a difference.

One of the most amazing experiences of making a difference is when I did my Practicum for college. I had the privilege (unfortunate that it's necessary) of working with abused and neglected children in a school-like setting. I worked with 4 year olds for half day and then I worked with 5 year olds for the other half of the day. In some of the situations I had siblings in both classes. In a lot of my interactions with these kids I did a lot of play therapy and tried to get through to them using this technique. In reading their reports and background, it would appear that not many 'teachers' had gotten through to several of these children, understandably. It broke my heart. As time went on, my efforts did not go unrewarded with several of these kids. Several of the 'untouchables'. As time went on and a trust grew, they responded to play therapy with me. I was able to help break down some of those walls they so carefully built. I learned several very valuable lessons. Heavenly Father loves ALL of His children. Even though terrible things may happen, He puts others in place to help start the healing. I learned that even though one person who has tried and tried to help, doesn't mean that the next person will not succeed. We must continue to try. If you do not see a change, it does not mean you did not make a difference. It may just mean you are preparing the way. Though my Practicum ended well before 'my kids' were done with therapy, I am hopeful that our breakthrough was just the start of a healing process for these sweet little ones who deserve more than what they had been given thus far.

In a nutshell, don't give up in your efforts for making a difference. We all make a difference. Just choose to make a good one and it will have lasting effects. One's that we sometimes can't even see yet.

No comments: