My 4 yr old (just had a b-day) nephew was diagnosed this year as PDDNOS which is Pervasive Development Disorder-Not otherwise specified. What a diagnosis, eh?! I love the part about 'not otherwise specified'. The catch all phrase for we have no idea. Basically this diagnosis is the diagnosis given to a lot of children who have autism but are too young to be clearly diagnosed as autistic because some symptoms have not yet manifested themselves. Interesting fact is that everything you can find in how to help your child is paralleled to how to help an autistic child. One exception, your insurance will not pay for a lot of it because your child has not been specifically diagnosed as autistic. Bonus!!! Gotta love the health care system.
As our family has been trying to find ways to pull Braxton out and communicate with him, it has been an interesting journey. I applaud his parents and mother especially. I have seen a huge change in Braxie in the last year. Instead of the constantly frustrated little boy I once saw, I see a really loving little boy who tries so desperately to communicate and to be understood. His special school has helped SO much! Sure he definitely has his 'moments' or even 'days', but he is sooo much better. Perhaps it's simply that we understand better. I'm not sure. But things are better in so many ways.
What has been my part in all of this? Truly, I'm not sure. As most of you know, I have a huge love for children. It frustrated me that I couldn't communicate with my little Braxie. Then one day it hit me. Hello! I can communicate that TT (my nickname for the little ones) loves him! Love is something everyone can feel no matter what! So from that day forward, I've tried to make it a point to show Braxie my love. One day months later, I walked into Braxie's house and he exclaimed my name clearly "TT!" I was shocked and so was his mom since he doesn't talk much and when he does, it is not clear. He knew me, he knew my name, and he was VERY happy to see me. Tender mercies. This might not mean a lot to the next person, but it certainly meant a lot to me. A time later I was visiting and he was doing his own thing like he often does, then all of the sudden he came up to me and climbed into my lap and cuddled with me. Not only did he cuddle with me, but he cuddled with me for quite a period of time. As mentioned from my brother, he doesn't do that! Usually you get a very quick hug or cuddle that lasts for seconds or a minute, that is all. Again, tender mercies. Though we have our ups and downs with Sweet Braxton, he knows he is loved. He is a blessing from Heavenly Father and I am so grateful to have him in my life to teach me simple messages of how to love, Braxton Style.
On a slightly different note, it has definitely changed my perspective on screaming children in public places. Boy you just never know a persons circumstances. When my nephew is out of control in public places, it is amazing to see the looks people give. Looks that say "get a hold of your child" or "slap him til he's quiet" or things of that nature. It's amazing to me to think that if we were to just say something like "he's autistic" or something of the sort, automatically people are understanding or would be understanding. Why do we readily judge one another? I for one, find myself wishing the parents good luck, rather than thinking they aren't doing a good job when I pass a screaming child and a parent who is struggling with them. You just never know a persons circumstances.
1 month ago

2 comments:
At least there's a starting point to get your sweet little nephew the help that he needs! I agree that the health system can be frustrating. Glad that you and his family are doing so much to help him!
DANG YOU!!! So, this is the first time I log on and read your blog and I am bawling like a baby!!! It is such a blessing to know that Braxie has people like you to love him and help him through life! Thank you so much for being you, TT. Love you.
Post a Comment