Monday, October 13, 2008

Patriotic Thank You!!!

As many of you know, my youngest brother has been serving in the military for quite a few years. He has been training and then serving in the war since the beginning of the year. Though it has been hard to have him so far away from our family, I cannot tell you how proud I am of him. From a very young age he has demonstrated a high level of patriotic pride. Something that he shares with our grandpa, who also served in a devastating war. A pride that I see in so many of our soldiers. As I look in our soldiers faces, I cannot help but wonder where this loyalty, pride and sense of duty comes from. As I look into their faces, I cannot help but have an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the men and women who sacrifice SO much for us!

My brother just came home for his all too short leave. He had to travel many hours to get back home and he had to travel on many different flights to reach us. But he said his travel was good. He said he had a really hard time keeping it together when they got to Texas. As they were taxied in, there were 2 fire trucks on either side of the plane and they were shooting their hoses in an arch over the plane as a symbol of gratitude because they knew there were a few soldiers on the plane. As this happened, the other passengers stood up and all applauded them. Old and young. He said it meant a lot. But it didn't stop there. As they got off the plane and went to catch the next flight, they were applauded and cheered by so many others they passed by. They were told that this is what Texas does for our soldiers. This is a regular occurrence.

I am overjoyed at the kindnesses made to show my brother and other soldiers that they are appreciated. Thank you Texas!!! Thank you for your Patriotic Thank You to soldiers!

1 comment:

Eric and Jamie said...

WOW! How touching what the people of Texas did, and do for that matter! I was on the verge of crying after reading that. I am sure glad that there are people who appreciate what many men and women are doing for our country, because I know I sure am!

Jamie Whatcott