For those of you who know me well, you know that I invest A LOT of hopefully 'quality' time with my nieces and nephews. It's important to me. Pretty much children are my life. Anyway, while I spend that time with them... there are just things that they know I WILL allow and things they know i WILL NOT allow. Please's and Thank you's are a must. You may be scratching your head right now and thinking, this girl is crazy. The 'please' and 'thank yous' will come and kids will be kids. But I'm a firm believer in teaching children kindness. A kind child is a kind adult. Who's gonna complain about having too many kind adults? Seriously!
Exhibit A. I was getting lunch today. Cafe Rio. I put in my order and couldn't help but note the behavior behind me. This woman was on her phone the entire time. First of all she acted as if she was inconvenience by having to give her order (I'm sorry that the Cafe Rio staff are not mind readers), and then when it came to payment she actually threw her credit card across the counter top at the woman. No she didn't place it ON the counter (which is only slightly better). She tossed it, it slid across the counter and I thought for a second that it would go all the way off and onto the floor. I thought to myself...who does that?! Sadly....I think a lot of people do. In my reflection over this...I was grateful to note that I had used my pleases and thank yous. My mother taught me well. Thank you mom!
So why do I stress pleases and thank yous with the little ones? Because we shouldn't live in a world where behavior like the kind that I witnessed today is acceptable. We shouldn't live in a world where WE contribute to that kind of behavior. Because as soon as we do...what does that really mean? If we stop saying it, does that mean we stop feeling it? Does that mean we actually stop feeling thankful? I hope not. Because there is much to be grateful for. :)
5 days ago

6 comments:
I've met people like that. It's easy when you work in customer service. My Mom taught me well, too. Thank heavens!
I had a boyfriend once who told me he couldn't believe how often I said "thank you" to people when we'd go out. It's how I was raised. Great post and a great reminder to us all to be a little more kind in our interactions with others!
I guess I say thanks a lot to Kinsey because she is only 18 months old but no matter what you give her she says "thanks!" in her high pitched little voice. She has surprised more then one unsuspecting cashier! I have insisted on her signing please for everything she wants. I can not believe that person was so rude, yet at the same time I'm sad to admit I'm not THAT shocked. :-(
There's nothing sweeter than hearing a little one say thanks without being prompted!
When I have to go on register at work the rudeness of people send me over the edge. That is why I only go on when completely necissary. Those people need to be taught that rude behavior will not be tolorated. I wish we as a store or other stores could say you are rude please leave. Too bad we are a customer is always right society.
How was fishing? I heard on the radio it was free fishing day. Hope it was simply amazing!!!
Post a Comment