As I was weeding my garden the other day, a few things happened. For one, my thoughts wouldn't shut off. I must preface this by saying that I loath weeding. Truly. I dislike all aspects of it. I hate that when I do it, my allergies kick in to high gear and then I'm sniffling, itchy, and surrounded by creepy, crawly things that I've accidentally unearthed while pulling out the unwanted weeds. So I say again, I DISLIKE WEEDING. There, I think I've made my point. ;)
Anyway, I rarely have the time to weed and lets face it..it's not really on my list of things to do when I do have a spare minute. Before I know it, I have tree weeds growing in my planters. It's pretty bad. Well, the other day I had a little bit of spare time that I thought I should weed. Mistake #1 was not having weeding gloves. My weeds apparently have swords growing out of them. Mistake #2 was not having tools to help me dig up the flat weeds that just spread out rather than up. Mistake #3 was allowing them to grow so crazy that it is now a huge job to try to clean up. All of these mistakes were coming to mind as I was pulling the weeds (carefully) and adding them to a pile to be thrown away.
I tried tackling a bundle of my tree weeds at the same time. Let's not waste time, right? They would not budge. I gave it my all, determined to have them gone. Still, no budge. I was not going to give up. So I took one tree weed and pulled. Up it came. I took another tree weed, and up it came. So amazing. My thoughts wondered to how SO like life this is. We all have 'things' in our lives.. 'weeds' if you will. Whether we like it or not, sometimes they just appear out of no where (or so it seems) and muck up our lives. They will not just go away by ignoring them. We must pluck them out of the ground and toss them away. And often times, it is not as easy as grabbing all of these undesirable things at once and getting rid of them. But rather, we must take them one by one and take care of it. But if we take those undesirables one by one, we find that they usually come up. Some easier than others, but they come up none the less. Root and all, so we can toss them aside and get rid of them. But we need to be willing to put in the time. Ideally, we would do this on a regular basis so that we are not overwhelmed. But oh how satisfying it is to know we can take care of the undesirables and have them gone and out of our 'gardens'. :)
Again, moving on with my weeding experience. As I was in my garden and seeing all sorts of different kinds of weeds populating my garden. I must stay that I try to be VERY aware of the creepy crawlies around me. I cannot be near anything that might surprise me. Hence the being aware part. So let's just say, if ever I become a rich person, a gardener just might bring me peace of mind. haha. Oh sorry, I digress. Anyway, as I was making a mental note of my surroundings, I noted 2 honey bee's!!!! Yes, you read that correctly!!! They were sucking from a few of my sparse flowers. :) Yay!!! And for anyone who has been reading up on honey bee's, you may have heard that the prediction is that they are going extincted. I'm not sure how they are basing this prediction because I'm not one who has read up on this, but I've heard this over and over. So honey bee's in my garden equals happiness in my heart as long as their stingers stay away from me. :) Well as I'm pulling away, I note that the bee's start to multiply and I now have 4 bee's!!! And then it goes up to 8 bee's!!! Holy cow! And here's the kicker, they aren't just going to my flowers, but they are going to the weeds that have flowers on them. That's interesting. So naturally I had to stop weeding. I couldn't take away their tasty treat. So there you have it. My logic for not pulling the weeds with flowers on them. I couldn't disrupt the harvest the bee's were having. I simply couldn't. Ok and plus my hands were raw (I had a lot of weeds and still do).
But I am determined. I will just have to find a time that is not harvest time. Oh yeah, and I need to get to the store and get me some gloves/tools to help finish the job in order to spare my poor hands :)
P.S. I did look up Bee Extinction to see if it is even true. Apparently Honey Bee's are exotic to North America. The 'wild' honey bee seems to be doing fine. The problem is with the 'domesticated' honey bee colonies which are experiencing colony collapse disorder. Sad. But it's good to know so now I don't feel so bad about pulling my weed flowers. :) They will just move on to another flower. I guess I was just hoping my flowers were special or something. hahaha
1 month ago

No comments:
Post a Comment