Monday, March 9, 2009

So Much to Me

I had the great opportunity to volunteer for the Draper Temple Open House. My friends ward was getting a certain number of volunteers for a certain amount of days and they were short. They called me and asked if I'd help. Of course I would help. :)

When we got there, we were told that we were going to be the Bus Ushers. A big responsibility because we were going to actually have reading parts, etc. Most other volunteers just guide the people through by pointing where to go next (since it's a silent tour). Um, two problems. Number one, I get carsick when I read in cars...let alone buses!!! Number two, I get really nervous with public speaking. I know, shocker. I wasn't sure I was up for this responsibility. I was actually more nervous about getting sick, truth be told. I was toying with whether I tell them or not when another lady asked to be moved for the same reason. So I reluctantly told them my dilemma as well, but instead of asking to be moved, I asked if I should just have the faith that I will be fine. He was surprised by my choice of words. He then opened up to me and said that a few others had canceled last minute and they were short handed and really needed me to be a bus usher. But that if I ended up getting sick to please let them know. That did it, I was going to be fine! I was determined!

I cannot tell you how amazing my experience was! First of all, I did not get sick. Second of all it was a very LONG script that took pretty much the whole bus ride to the Temple. Third, I know that it was not MY determination that made it possible for me to fulfill my responsibilities that day.

Friends, I realize not all of you believe in the same beliefs that I do. However, I care about you, as I know you care about me. And just as I love to hear about the things that mean so much to you, I know that you love to hear about the things that mean so much to me. I know that I was blessed that day. I know that when we pray, our prayers are answered. Not always are our prayers answered immediately, but sometimes they are. And they don't always have to be earth shattering. They can be simple little things. But no matter how big or little those things are, in the end, getting the answer means that we do in fact have a loving Father who hears us, who answers our prayers, and who wishes us happiness. Even when we cannot see for ourselves why we must do something, there is always purpose. Just to further my point, I know that I have never been able to read in cars. Just the day before I was getting a little sick just because I was concentrating on tying a bow on a present. Lame? I know, but that's how bad it can be sometimes. But I was blessed that day. My being an usher that day had purpose. I was needed. I should have been sick within the first paragraph of my reading to those people. But I was blessed so that I was able to last for a few hours rather than a few minutes. Afterwards, I went through the Draper Temple since I had not yet been able to go. There is no better place on earth. Time and time again I felt a watchful eye on me. And time and time again, I recited my script as a witness and mouthpiece for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am so proud. Though the tag on my jacket said "Usher" I really felt it said "Usher for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". You may ask why it matters. Well, I was never a missionary, but I certainly felt the responsibility as a member missionary that day. I was escorting Ladies, Gentlemen, and their children to the most important place they can possibly go to here on this earth, the Temple. I was introducing them to the House of the Lord. What an amazing opportunity.

2 comments:

Cambu said...

Tandy, what a fantastic post! It sounds like such an incredible experience and I have no doubt that your prayers were answered. I've had a few of those "prayer answering" experiences myself the last week or two and they are such a blessing!

The Lighthearts said...

Just think of all the lives you touched just by having the courage and faith to put your candle on a candlestick and not under a bushel. Thanks for sharing such a great experience! :)