Thursday, March 26, 2009

Working Hard Against Us

It's been very interesting. Being an older, single woman, I have had the opportunity to be present in many conversations related to relationships, dating, and theories as to why things are the way they are. Because of my nature and perhaps my schooling, I find myself asked what my opinion is on these types of topics and even on others current situations. Honestly, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on how things are, how they should be, and what hard questions to ask ourselves when in those kinds of relationships. However, saying all of that, it has always been amazing to me that no matter how logical and eloquent I am with those around me on this subject, I seem to forget EVERYTHING when it comes to myself. I ALWAYS seem to feel I'm the exception to the rule. Perhaps that is how we all are. Why is that? Why is it so much harder to find someone we are compatible with and eventually will marry? Well, interestingly enough this subject (sort of) was a topic for Visiting Teaching this month. For those of you who are not members of the church, Visiting Teaching is a monthly program in the church where we visit each other on a one on one basis and are able to chat with each others about our lives and talk about a specific lesson/thought provided by our Church leaders.

Let me explain the tie in. This month we talked about how we must 'Uphold, Nourish, and Protect the Family'. You may ask, how in the world I got dating and marriage out of this topic? Well, I will tell you. I feel that Satan's focus for destroying the righteous, has been a focus on destroying the family. He does not want us to have good, strong families. I believe his focus has not only been on destroying families, but I believe his focus has turned into not allowing them to begin in the first place. I won't bore you with my ramblings of my theories on this issue, but I will say that I believe this is the 'why' to some of our questions. Satan does not want us to have strong, righteous marriages. He doesn't want us to start righteous families. Look at the statistics of singles in the Salt Lake Valley alone (let alone the world). Insane. In my ward alone, we have a couple hundred who attend and there are 3 wards that meet in that building! Single adults are everywhere and it feels as though they are becoming more and more 'ok' with this way of life. The 'hurry' for getting married is no longer. Does that mean Satan is winning? I certainly hope not. We must fight for our families and future families! Dating should not be so serious that marriage is a primary thought (lets not freak ourselves out or our date), however, it should not be forgotten all together (meaning date for pete's sake!). hahaha

Julie B. Beck says this "As a disciple of Jesus Christ, every woman in this Church is given the responsibility for upholding, nurturing, and protecting families." Ladies, we have a responsibility as mothers, and if we are not mothers than future mothers. We have a responsibility as aunts and as teachers. We simply have a responsibility. I hope you feel that. Though we have forces working hard against us, we also have forces working hard for us. If only we work hard along side the right force. :)

3 comments:

Robyn said...

All I can say is "Amen"!

The Bender Family said...

Tandy... Didn't know you had a blog! I love it!! You have such great insight. I need to get you in touch with my friend who is single and having a hard time with it. She's a great girl (like you) and just needs some positive motivation and friendship. You're amazing!!!

White's said...

No Kidding! Way to go sis! I love you. I hope and pray for you always. I know it is not easy. I am glad you are not freaking your self out! It is about having fun, getting to know people and how they mix with you, not what is RIGHT for you. If you concentrate on that, it will take forever. Just have FUN! Play, TeasE, and you will be surprised!.....Now how do I tell all the STUPID BOYS THAT????