Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tender Mercies and Some Random Thoughts to Boot

I have been taking an institute class this semester. It's been very interesting. I've been edging a time in my life where I was feeling like I no longer needed institute. I was kind of feeling the whole 'been there done that' feeling. Well, without going into too much detail that I do not care to divulge (smiles), I started to look inward to see what it was that I was missing in my life to help make me feel connected. I mean, I am a very active person and it's not as if I struggle to keep my calendar busy, but I couldn't get rid of the feeling of something amiss. The answer came, and attending institute was part of it. I cannot even begin to tell you how it has changed my perspective on my life these past weeks. There is definitely something about having another day in the middle of your week where you spend an hour (or in my case 1 1/2 hrs) engrossed in learning about the gospel.

I am taking Teachings of the Living Prophets. I absolutely LOVE perusing over past conference talks and talking as a class about the meaning of these talks. Last week we spoke about Tender Mercies. Ironically as I was sitting in class, I received a text about my brother (see post below). Tender mercy. And as we had our discussion, it was hard not to think about my life and all of the tender mercies I receive on a daily basis. Elder Bednar says "The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ." He goes on to say "We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord's tender mercies. The simpleness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live." "Truly, the Lord is good to all."

Don't those words just make you happy? The Lord is good to us all!!! He doesn't pick and choose who to bless based on favorites. During these hard times, look at each day and be sure to recognize your tender mercies. You will be amazed at how many you are blessed with, I promise you! Oh how we are loved! :)

1 comment:

Robyn said...

We had a lesson on that talk a few weeks ago in RS. I love it! I too notice that during the toughest times, I also see that the Lord sends me little "love notes" to remind me he's still there and knows it's tough, but I can make it through with his help.